Empowering people of Whiteland
By Anna Poliah
VILLAGERS of the rural community of Whiteland off Gasparillo are now feel empowered.
And they want to say thanks to MP Dr. Surujrattan Rambachan for the an Empowerment Centre in their area.
Before, the building, which was built in 2004, stood abandoned.
When Dr. Rambachan became MP for Tabaquite, villagers say he investigated and refurbished the structure and subsequently partnered with Poonah Open Bible Miracle Centre (POBMC).
Pastor Winston Mansingh of the POBMC is a director and expressed gratitude to Dr. Rambachan during the opening of the centre.
Sharlene Modeste said the children did not have anything before.
Now, she said the children will be able to get help via the homework centre.
“They will get a lot of help and will do better in school because students of the University of the West Indies (UWI) will be teaching our students.
“There are many other programmes that will benefit villagers,” she said.
Eight-year-old Darla Doogar said she enjoyed Vacation Bible School (VBS) at the centre for the first time.
Doogar said she learnt about the Bible and how to follow Jesus.
The Centre has already gained the support of several churches and individuals in the area.
Programmes at the centre include Family Development & Parenting, Homework Centre, Sexual Health & HIV education, Special Program on Child Abuse & Parenting (T.B.A.), Business Development and Entrepreneurial Support.
The centre will serve to empower women and girls in particular in life skills.
The aim of the NGO is to:
1. To establish homework and support facilities for children
2. To establish rehabilitation programmes for drug and alcohol addicts
3. To provide support and services for girls, who become pregnant and require assistance (counselling etc).
4. To provide physical space for NGO’s and other civic organizations interested in the type of activities listed above
5. To engage in all activities that enhances the above objectives of the organization.
Dr. Rambachan is patron of the centre.Share on Facebook