Manzanilla Mayaro Road Rehabilitation
The Manzanilla/Mayaro Road, which spans 20km in length, is the major thoroughfare in the northeast region that connects Sangre Grande to Mayaro. In November 2014 heavy rainfall severely damaged this major thoroughfare and this roadway experienced six failures between Manzanilla Point and Radix Point.
As a result, the Ministry of Works and Infrastructure’s Programme for Upgrading Roads Efficiency (PURE) began rehabilitation works on the Manzanilla/ Mayaro Road on December 9th, 2014.
ALTERNATIVE ROUTE DURING CONSTRUCTION:-
- Rio Claro via the Cunapo Southern Road increased travel time by at least an hour.
SCOPE OF WORKS:
- Design and construction of a resilient pavement structure utilising a sustainable approach. Energy saving strategies will employed such as; use of recycling technologies for the salvaged materials.
- The temporary access road was open for public use on the 24th December, 2014.
- Installation of controlled environmentally friendly drainage solutions to mitigate storm-water runoff to a relative degree (to be completed in approximately one month).
The Ministry of Works and Infrastructure anticipated the following benefits since the reinstatement of the Manzanilla/ Mayaro Road:-
- Reinstated roadway will now improve accessibility and convenience to thousands of residents and commuter
- Improved connectivity along this major thoroughfare to Manzanilla, Mayaro and environs
- The restoration of the Manzanilla/Mayaro roadway is now accessible to all vehicles
- Reduction of stress levels of residents and wear and tear of vehicles.
- Reduced road user cost for residents since the taxi fares were raised on the alternative route which was longer.
- Reduced travel times since residents no longer have to use the alternative routes.
OFFICIAL NAME OF PROJECT:-
- Manzanilla Mayaro Road Rehabilitation
- 35 M
PROJECT START DATE:
- December 9, 2014
PROJECT COMPLETION DATE:
- January 29, 2015
- Jusamco Pavers Ltd
- Coosal’s Construction Company Ltd
- Danny’s Enterprise’s Ltd
- Raghunath Singh & Co. Ltd